- Established 1830
- Founded by Antonio Bernardo Ferreira
- Owned by Symington Family
Although there are records of the estate going back to the 16th Century it was after the 1830 harvest that Antonio Bernardo Ferreira decided to convert his lemon, orange, fig, almond and olive farm into a vineyard. Originally called Quinta das Figueiras (after the abundance of fig trees), he bought the estate in 1823 and his workers spent thirteen years carving out the terraces on which to plant vines.
The estate remained in family hands until 1989 when it was sold to the Symington family.